Established in 1951, Ward’s Nurseries has become one of Ringstead’s most successful businesses.
Starting from humble beginnings, Edward Maurice Ward set up and run a small business from his home in 1940’s and began to grow and expand in to his first major greenhouse on Foundry Lane and it has grown ever since in to the Ward’s Nurseries that still stands today.
Wards’s Nurseries has been a traditional family run business ever since Edward’s son Sydney, returned from the war and started to help his father run the nursery and together with staff the business continued to expand. Following Sydney’s death in 1970, his widow Joan took over with the help of their son, Stephen and later daughter Pam also joined the team. The nursery has continued to expand employing three full time staff as well as Stephen’s son Stuart.
Since then, there has been no looking back and Ward’s Nurseries continues to trade in only the finest plants and composts, many of which are still grown and produced on site.
The nursery attracts customers from far and wide and the Ward’s name was well known at local markets where they traded for almost 70 years. Due to semi-retirement, Stephen and Pam retired from market life at the end of 2017. The nursery at Ringstead is open as normal.